In this 2-part Mind the Gap episode, we explore – and pick apart – everything you thought you knew about unstable angina || By Steven R. Liu MD and Janine Knudsen MD || Graphic Design by Ramon Thompson || Peer Review Dr Norma Keller MD
- The basics – what is acute coronary syndrome? (4:08)
- Clinical context matters – angina pectoris, atypical chest pain, and troponins (5:22)
- You can’t just “cath” everyone – risk stratification to identify patients with high mortality risk (9:42)
- TIMI isn’t perfect – the issues with the score and MACE outcomes (14:00)
- Review of teaching points (17:58)
For a transcript of the podcast and show notes: https://www.coreimpodcast.com/2019/02/27/acute-coronary-syndrome-acs-and-the-timi-score/
For more from Core IM: Subscribe to CORE IM for the latest updates! Follow us on Facebook @Core IM || Twitter @COREIMpodcast || Instagram @core.im.podcast. Please give any feedback at email@example.com.
- Acute Myocardial Infarction in Women: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation 2016;Jan 26.
- Benjamin EJ, Blaha MJ, Chiuve SE, Cushman M, Das SR, Deo R, et al. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics—2017 Update: A Report From the American Heart Association. 2017; 135:e1–e458.
- Amsterdam et al. 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the Management of Patients with Non-ST-Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 Dec 23;64(24):e139-e228.
- Fred HL. Atypical chest pain: a typical humpty dumpty coinage. Tex Heart Inst J. 2009;36(5):373-4.
- Lee TH, Cook EF, Weisberg M, et al. Acute chest pain in the emergency room. Identification and examination of low-risk patients. Arch Intern Med. 1985; 145:65–9.
- Tavakol M, Ashraf S, Brener SJ. Risks and complications of coronary angiography: a comprehensive review. Glob J Health Sci. 2012;4(1):65-93.
- Hamm CW, Braunwald E. A classification of unstable angina revisited. Circulation. 2000 Jul 4;102(1):118-22.
- Antman EM, Cohen M, Bernink PJ, McCabe CH, Horacek T, Papuchis G, Mautner B, Corbalan R, Radley D, Braunwald E. The TIMI risk score for unstable angina/non-ST elevation MI: A method for prognostication and therapeutic decision making. JAMA. 2000 Aug 16;284(7):835-42.