- VA Outpatient: What should the threshold be to send a JAK2 mutation test?
- NYU GFP: When should we consider sending a workup for hereditary hemochromatosis?
- Bellevue Outpatient: When should we consider sending flow cytometry as part of the workup for hematologic malignancy?
The NYU Langone Health Online Journal of Medicine
Chiefs’ Inquiry Corner-5/16/22May 16, 2022
- Bellevue Inpatient: What is systemic sclerosis sine scleroderma? (Thanks to Melissa Chiang and her team for this question during rounds with Dr. Abramson!)
- VA Outpatient: What are the updates to the guidelines regarding initial treatment for asthma?
- Bellevue Outpatient: What are the updated guidelines for initiation of aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease?
Chiefs’ Inquiry Corner-5/9/22May 9, 2022
- Bellevue Inpatient: Should I correct the sodium for hyperglycemia when calculating an anion gap? (Written by Kirsten Salline, PGY-3 on teaching elective!)
- Tisch-Kimmel Inpatient: What is nonbacterial thrombotic endocarditis (NBTE) and when should the diagnosis be suspected? (Written by Kirsten Salline, PGY-3 on teaching elective!)
- VA Outpatient: How does malignancy lead to hypercalcemia, and what is the clinical significance?
Chiefs’ Inquiry Corner – 5/2/22May 2, 2022
- Bellevue Inpatient: According to the new 2022 guidelines from the AHA/ACC on the management of heart failure, how should we be approaching patients with HFmrEF (mid-range EF)?
- Tisch-Kimmel Inpatient: According to the new 2022 guidelines from the AHA/ACC how should we be approaching the management of patients with confirmed wild-type or variant transthyretin cardiac amyloidosis? (do you see a pattern here?!)
- VA Outpatient: In patients with known heart failure who we are managing over time in clinic, is there a certain frequency of following imaging (such as transthoracic echo) we should be abiding by? (really excited about cardiology this week)
Chiefs’ Inquiry Corner – 4/25/22April 25, 2022
- NYU BK: What is the difference between serum sickness and serum sickness-like reactions (SSLRs)?
- Gouverneur Outpatient: Does Vitamin D supplementation actually reduce the risk of fracture?(shoutout to our primary care digest for these pearls!)
- Gouverneur Outpatient: To B(iopsy) or not to B(iopsy)? That is our question (for the OBs) (Shoutout to our primary care digest for these pearls!)
Coronary Artery Calcium Score: What’s the Controversy?April 21, 2022
By Kyla Wright
First developed in 1990,1 coronary artery calcium scoring has emerged as a noninvasive risk stratification tool for the detection of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD).2 Unlike other commonly used cardiovascular risk stratification …
Chiefs’ Inquiry Corner – 4/18/22April 18, 2022
- Tisch-Kimmel Inpatient: What is the clinical presentation of atrioesophageal fistula following atrial fibrillation ablation?
- Bellevue Inpatient: What is the difference between uncomplicated and complicated MRSA bacteremia, and how does it affect treatment?
- NYU BK Outpatient: Do exercise and lifestyle changes work for knee osteoarthritis?
Chiefs’ Inquiry Corner – 4/11/22April 12, 2022
- Bellevue Outpatient: What is the STOP-Bang questionnaire for screening for sleep apnea?
- Brooklyn Inpatient: Does bariatric surgery improve long-term outcomes in patients with NAFLD and obesity?
- Bellevue Inpatient: Why are people with cirrhosis particularly vulnerable to Vibrio vulnificus infection?